Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My Guest: Joanne Wadsworth

My Guest this week is a writer whose ability to keep three distinct series on the go is inspiring. Today she has a look at a topic many readers are discussing. Ladies and Gentlemen...



Joanne Wadsworth



Ebooks or Paperback? 

What’s your Preference?



Amazon Link


Just recently I was thrilled to be interviewed by the editor of my regional newspaper, and she asked a very intriguing question. “As a writer, what was my preference? Ebooks or paperback?” When I answered ebooks, she then asked, “Where did I see the future with them?”

I actually live in New Zealand, and we’re a little behind the rest of the world with ereaders. Seriously, we are. I’d say we’re even lagging by about three years. So many here don’t understand how great ebooks are. Being able to buy and instantly download, and at a fraction of the cost of a paperback means time and money saved. When I’m asked by someone on the street where they can buy my books, and I say they’re ebooks, half the time they frown and say, “I’ve heard of ebooks, but I want a real book that I can feel and touch.” Now they’re not saying this in a mean way, but they just don’t understand.

Amazon Link
Sure, I enjoy holding a paperback and turning those crisp pages, and I still buy paperbacks from time to time. Particularly from my favorite authors where I know I’ll want to mark up pages which inspire me. But buying a paperback book is becoming rare for me. So what to tell the editor, where did I see the future of them? Particularly when I knew half the people reading the article would be of the same mind as those I meet on the street. Thankfully, it came to me in a flash of inspiration. Phew.

“You only have to look around you to see the advances in technology and it becomes clear where ebooks sit in the future. In preschool our under-fives use digital devices. They play fun software games which teach them math, English and so much more, but right along with those games they’re reading ebooks. Our school-aged children read ebooks on their ipads, smart phones, laptops, tablets and of course ereaders. We’re teaching our young ones to read in a new way. They’ll bring
Amazon Link
what they know and enjoy with them into the future.”

It was then I realized the depth behind my answer. What is going to happen to paperback in the future as the demand for ebooks grow? Oh boy, will paperback even be able to maintain a foothold on the market?

I’m reminded of when I was a child and of how technology has changed. My mother had an old washing machine with a manual wringer. We wouldn’t even consider holding onto one of those now. What for when with the press of a button today’s washing machines do it all. We could all name hundreds of new inventions which have surpassed the old. So, what will happen to paperback in ten, twenty, thirty years’ time? 

If you’re reading this, what are your thoughts? 

Do you think they’ll still be here? The atlas? Those beautiful photography books? Books of all genres? It’s a little scary to think of paperback becoming rare.

Drop me a comment and tell me what you think? And what’s your preference? Ebook or paperback? I’d love to hear.




And in light of all this talk of technology, take a look at this funny picture I just had to share.



LOL. Fabulous, and I bet the child totally got it. 
BIO:

Where Romance Meets Fantasy and Adventure…


Reading romance books captivated Joanne Wadsworth as a teenager, particularly when she tucked herself into bed at night and continued to dream those stories as she slept. She'd visualize the direction, taking the hero and heroine on an adventure unparalleled to what she'd read. Today she is devoted to writing romance, bringing her imagination to life within the lines of young adult, contemporary, and historical Highlander.

Born in New Zealand, Joanne works both as a writer and a financial controller, all while keeping up with her four energetic children and dreamy husband.


When she's not writing her three series Joanne can be located at:

GOODREADS

Thank you, Joanne, for an interesting article. I confess, until recently I was a paper-book-in-hand person but now I have a Kindle, I suppose I'll adopt both. The inexorable march of progress!

Eric @ www.ericjgates.com

No comments: